By Shannon Thompson
The Iowa legislature adopted an amendment to Iowa's condominium statute effective July 1, 2010, relating to board meetings (Senate File 2224). This law applies only to owners associations governing condominiums, not all owners associations.
- Board meetings must be open to all unit owners (unless the meeting is with the association's attorney and relates to proposed or pending litigation when attorney-client privilege would otherwise apply)
- Notice of a board meeting must be mailed or delivered to each unit owner at least 7 days before the meeting
- Minutes of board meetings must be maintained in written form (or another form that can be converted into written form within reasonable time)
- Board records must be open to inspection and available for copying at reasonable times and places
- Any action by a board at a meeting that is in violation of the above requirements is not valid or enforceable